So much has happened in the last 2 weeks that all I can say is WOW! The Inside Scoop…”The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men” has already told you one of the exciting things going on, so I will start there. Since getting back from our visit with family in South Florida we have been working full speed to find a house (which you already know we found). As part of this search, we examined our finances to see where we could get rid of unnecessary expenses. The first thing we decided was to cancel our World of Warcraft accounts. This was a two fold decision. First it eliminated $30 a month on the subscription fee. The second reason was I will never continue losing weight if I sit on my butt playing a computer game all the time. Next, we decided to break down our 2nd bedroom and unload our 5′X10′ storage unit into that bedroom. This not only eliminated the monthly cost but also allows us to start working thru things that have been in boxes and decide if we really need it. For unloading the storage unit, we were lucky enough to have 2 friends come and help us move. Even with their help, I was once again reminded how out of shape I was. This was the first “exercise” I have done in a long time and I paid for it. I was exhausted and sore for the next couple days.
The next exciting thing that happened was going to another one of Dr. Baptista’s informational seminars. I did this to support a friend who has decided to pursue the Lap-band surgery as well. Sitting thru this seminar again reinforced for me why I am doing this whole thing and why I am going to trust Dr. Baptista with my care. He is a really amazing man with a true passion for the well being of his patients. While I was at this seminar, I spoke with his staff and found out I can start the process even though I do not have the money for the surgery. Now you may be asking “why would you want to do that?”. The advantage to be being able to start the process is I can meet with the nutritionist and learn about how I will need to eat post surgery. This will allow me to start changing my habits before the surgery.
As far as my diet goes, I made a few bad choices this week. As you know, I am working on giving up soda and yesterday was the first soda I have had in almost 2 weeks. This is huge for me and I am on track to be soda free by the end of the month. I also had a few larger portions than I should have, and ate way to many carbs this week. Now I am not one of those who will tell you carbs are evil and you should stop eating them but with the sedentary life I lead, excessive carbs just are not a good idea (more on this another day). In the long run, I am still eating better (and less) than I did and am still moving in the right direction on the scale (see below). I still need to recognize the bad choices and figure out how I can avoid them in the future (more on that another day).
- I need to start exercising. Thus far, all of my weight loss has been as a result of dietary change only. I need to start exercising to help the effort out. Now don’t get me wrong, I have no intentions on joining a gym, getting a personal trainer or challenging the Dysfunctional Supermom to a dance contest on her Xbox Kinnects. All of those things would be more detrimental to me at the moment than good. What I am going to do is start walking around my apartment complex for as much as my body can stand.
- My friend who I went to the Seminar with got approval from the insurance company for the surgery. BIG YEAH!!!! There is still a bunch of red tape for my friend but the first step is over.
- I have not setup my first appointment to see Dr. Baptista yet, because I had to keep all of my time open to go search for a house. Once we have an accepted contract, I will go ahead and make my appointment.
So, on to my Week 5 update. This week will mark the first update on my measurements in addition to the weight.
- Current weight – 2/27/11 – 366.2 pounds
- Last weeks weight – 3/12/11 – 369.4 pounds
- Starting weight – 2/13/11 – 384.8 pounds
Weight loss for this week - 3.2 pounds
Total Weight loss - 18.6 pounds
- Current Measurements – 3/20/11 – Chest – 60.5″, Neck – 22.5″, Left Bicep – 18″, Right Bicep – 18.5″, Waist – 60″, Hips – 59″, Left Thigh – 26.75″, Right Thigh – 29.5″, Left Calf – 20.75″, Right Calf – 20.5″
- Starting Measurements – 2/13/11 – Chest – 61″, Neck – 23″, Left Bicep – 19.25″, Right Bicep – 19″, Waist – 61.5″, Hips – 59.5″, Left Thigh – 28.25″, Right Thigh – 29.75″, Left Calf – 20.75″, Right Calf – 20.5″
- Total Lost – Chest – .5″, Neck – .75″, Left Bicep – 1.25″, Right Bicep – .5″, Waist – 1.5″, Hips – .5″, Left Thigh – 1.5″, Right Thigh – .25″, Left Calf – 0″, Right Calf – 0″
Filed under: Bariatric Surgery, Diet, goals, Health, Inspiration, Journal, Journey, Lap Band, Losing Weight, Mens Weight Loss, Other, Overweight, Personal, Uncategorized, Weight Loss Tagged: | Bariatric Surgery, diet, Goals, health, inspiration, journal, Journey, Lap Band, Losing Weight, Mens Weight Loss, Obesity, other, Overweight, weight loss